For the marinated chicken
- 500g chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100ml plain yoghurt (can be fat free or low fat)
- 1 tbsp tikka spice powder
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl with your chicken, then cover the bowl with clingfilm and set aside in the fridge to marinate while you prepare the tikka sauce.
For the tikka masala sauce
- 1 Knorr chicken stock pot, mixed in 100ml water
- 2 medium-sized onions, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- 1½ tbsp tikka spice powder
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes OR 3 peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 handful of coriander – chopped (stems included)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup plain yoghurt
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to packet instructions
- For the tikka masala sauce, bring the stock to a simmer in a saucepan. Add the sliced onions, and garlic and ginger paste. Cover the pan with a lid and braise very gently for 15 minutes – or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the tikka spice powder, tomatoes and the chopped coriander (keep some for garnish) and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat slightly and simmer until the sauce is thickened – about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper (freshly ground is best) then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile (while your sauce is simmering), preheat the grill to its hottest setting. Cover a baking tray with foil, and then place the marinated chicken on the tray in a single layer.
- Grill the chicken for 15 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are cooked through. Give the chicken a turn halfway through cooking, to ensure it’s nicely browned all over.
- Using a stick blender or food processor, blend the tikka masala sauce until smooth. Return to the heat, then add the plain yoghurt. (Don’t boil the sauce after you add the yoghurt or it will split.)
- Stir the cooked chicken pieces into the sauce and serve with brown rice and a sprinkling of coriander to finish.
Notes: if you are unable to find tikka powder, some stores sell tikka paste as well. Use what is available to you.