Today’s Empower Diabetes recipe
Source: The Accu-Chef Cookbook
Calories: 298 per serving
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 150ml (3/5 c) split or red lentils
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 60ml (4 T) tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2.5ml (1/2 T) dried oregano or 7.5ml (1/2 T) fresh oregano
- 10ml (2 T) vegetable stock powder
- 250ml (1 c) boiling water
- 5ml (1T) sugar (if tomatoes are too tart)
- 30ml (2 T) olive/canola oil
- 2 medium aubergines (brinjals), topped and tailed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2.5ml (1/2 T) salt
- 1 egg
- 200g (1 tub) fat free cottage cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
How to make it:
- Place the lentils in a saucepan with the tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, oregano and nutmeg.
- Add the vegetable stock powder.
- Pour the boiling water over and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add the sugar if too tart.
- Reheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Wash and thickly slice the unpeeled aubergines.
- In a frying pan, heat one tablespoon of the oil over a medium heat and lightly fry the aubergine slices, adding about 50ml (1/5 C) of water to the pan to prevent burning. Remove the pan and set aside.
- Heat the other tablespoon of oil in the same frying pan and gently fry the onion until just starting to brown, stirring all the time. Add the salt and stir enough.
- In a lightly greased oven-proof dish, layer half the aubergine slices on the bottom. Top evenly with two thirds of the fried onion. Spoon all the lentil mixture onto the onion. Sprinkle the rest of the onion onto the lentils and place the leftover aubergine slices on top.
- Beat the egg and cottage cheese together, and season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour evenly over the moussaka, and bake for 30-40 minutes. Place under a hot grill for a few minutes until the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with a green salad to make a balanced meal.
- 289 Calories
- 19g Protein
- 9g Fat
- 26g Carbohydrates
- 10g Fiber
- 52mg Cholesterol
- 416mg Sodium